Thursday 10 April 2008

The Wonders of Nature

On Wednesday, Helena and I went to a local wildlife park (zoo). It's always a good day out. They have a play area, a canteen, and lots of animals. On the way Helena asked me what my favouite animal was. I couldn't think of an answer. "I don't really like any of them", was the best I could come up with.

We didn't get round all of the animals - we missed seeing the farm animals, nor did we go into the tropical enclosure this time, we also managed to avoid going into the shop that sells all sorts of tacky rubbish. This has to be a first, as Helena is usually very keen to go in there, but we left once she'd had enough traipsing around for one day. We'll probably go again in the summer.

There are all sorts of weird and wonderful creatures. I realised when we were halfway there that I had forgotten to bring my camera. Never mind, there are far better photos on Wiki, and in any case there's no way I'd have spent enough time anywhere near an arachnoid to get this kind of picture:

Visiting the "creepy crawly" house is something that is very important to me, though. Mainly to make sure that the tarantulas are still in their cages.

We also saw some bats. Again, I couldn't have photographed them - the bat house is kept very dark. They're pretty creepy too:

Finally, here is a snake:

None of the snakes we saw are this colourful. I don't mind snakes, when I'm looking at them through glass. There aren't really any poisonous snakes in the UK, and it's rare to see any type outside of a zoo. The worrying thing was how well camoflauged some of them were.

I suppose I should be amazed by the wonders of nature. By how diverse and strange the animal kingdom is, but as always I came back unmoved. Animals smell. Some of them can kill you. You wouldn't let most of them in your house. Only one thing really impressed me.
That was the ants. They're amazing because of the way that they manage to work together. And yet each of them has the brain power of Britney Spears. It's very impressive. The other nice thing about ants is that they aren't at all scary or creepy. Which I suppose must make them my favourite animal...

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

FIRST!!

Bee said...

Did you see any peacocks? Those are my favorite!

I don't mind snakes, bats and bigger animals. I cannot endure looking at the insects! I feel like they're crawling on my skin!

Dan said...

When I was like 3 years old ants were my friends, I played with them all the time. One day one son of a bitch bit me. We've had an estranged relationship since then.

Bee said...

Dan you freakin' crack me up!!!

Brian o vretanos said...

Bee:

Yes, we saw loads of peacocks. They were Helena's favourites too, I think.

Dan:

They should have picked on someone their own size...

Jean Knee said...

well I like most animals so it's apparent to me Brian is some kind of cyborg type creature

Brian o vretanos said...

Jean Knee:

These were alive, not dried up. How's your fridge?

Jean Knee said...

I missed you too Brian.

Jean Knee said...

There obviously is some freaky deaky Karma going on around on me.
In 15 minutes I have to go clothes shopping. And then as if that weren't horrid enough I have to go to a pampered chef party(like Tupperware party kinda) afterwards. I wouldn't go but it's my next door neighbor and the hub is Lean's baseball coach.

What awful thing do you think I did to deserve this fun evening?

Bee said...

Buy me an orange peeler. I'm still addicted to oranges.

Bee said...

ELEVENTH

Jean Knee said...

Oh Bee, it's going to be horrible, I may have to wear makeup or something. everyone knows I don't cook.

maybe they'll have some kinda stapler, juicer type thing I'll send ya Brian

Jean Knee said...

I'm so worked up I didn't even notice 11 th


missed all your fun with the sushi dude

Brian o vretanos said...

Jean Knee:

You're so thoughtful. Something that can staple Uglis together, maybe.

Surely you like clothes shopping? If not, why do it?

Bee said...

You'll be fine. Just ask them about the Pizza Twist.
They'll know what you're talking about.

Bee said...

The wedding I have to go to is Saturday.
(:-{

Jean Knee said...

Brian, where'd you go?


Later dudes, gotta go stuff my mass into some new duds while Lean whines and Drew asks me if he looks fat in these pants.

Oh The Horror!!!

Bee said...

The stushie thing is no biggie. He is now semi-regretting his scoldings.

Jean Knee said...

none of my clothes fit because of those once beloved and now accursed Cadbury mini eggs

Jean Knee said...

If Yvonne is there I'll hurl. Please don't let her sit by me, please please, pleeeeeease

close enough to prayin for me

Tracy Rambles On And On said...

I OBJECT!
Ants are EVIL. EeeeeVIL!
As a teen, I lived in Alabama with my father and he decided that he wanted a palm tree in his yard. Instead of going to buy one, we dug one up, I think out of someone's field (probably illegal but my dad was a "buck the man" kind of guy)
I had to hold it on the ride back home and it was covered in fireants. Before I knew anything I was covered in them and they all started biting at once. They were in my shirt, up my pants, even in my shoes.
Later I was covered in what looked like really evil bee stings.
Ants are EVIL!
Stay away from them Brian for your own good!

Brian o vretanos said...

Tracy:

Don't worry! I wasn't planning to become some kind of ant tamer. I'm just saying that they were the one animal in the zoo that actually impressed me.