Wednesday 30 April 2008

Wordy Wednesday

I haven't posted for a few days, and this is going to be one of those rambly posts, which I don't usually attempt, since Bee and Tracy are both far better at it than me. Still, here goes.

Dead to the World

I've been zombified the last few days, not sleeping well. I don't know why, but last night I went to bed at about 9pm. Which meant that I woke up just after 5. So for once I watched a bit of "7-10", RIK's breakfast TV show whilst ironing some shirts. And got to work before 7am.

More Boring Technical Details

I've finally got my laptop working online with Ubuntu. I ended up getting a network card from "The Linux Emporium", and was online within 5 minutes of opening the parcel. £20 well spent! This is my first post from the Silver Surfer with Linux.

I had to set up all my web browser bookmarks, RSS links to all my favourite bloggers, and so on, but the most important thing was to choose a background. I've gone with the following from the "House of Dionysis" in Paphos, Cyprus.


So, what's so good about Ubuntu/Bad about Windows? At the end of the day, it's really just my personal taste. I have used Unix systems for the last 15 years, and I prefer them. And that's all I'll say, since I've bored you all enough about this.

Catch!

I saw something really scary on the news this evening. They were throwing babies off the tower of a temple in India. The people below catch them in sheets. It's a centuries-old tradition that they claim has never resulted in any accidents, and which apparently gives the child good fortune and health. But it was an awfully tall tower, and the babies didn't seem very happy about it

That's All Folks!

And that's all I have. Oh, other than to say that I'm glad Tracy remained hurricane free, that Dan didn't shoot anyone, that Bee's plants are safe, and that Jean Knee's finally freed up some space in her Freezer of Horrors...

29 comments:

Bee said...

FIRST!!

Bee said...

Those Indian peeps are nuts because it's a proven fact that babies can get brain injuries from being shaken so I can't imagine what it would be like after a big fall like that.

Brian o vretanos said...

Bee:

They say that the babies will be fine because they are protected by God/the Gods or whatever. It was terrifying to watch.

Bee said...

jean knee should petrify the fish to add to her collection.

Jean Knee said...

Those Indians are crazy, they also defecate on the street. They do have that kewl Taj Mahal that I will see before I die, I hope.

I unwrapped cupcake to see how he looked frozen while on the phone with Elastic and she was every bit as morbidly curious to find out how he looked.

he was just grey but looked the same as always, remember he never moved

Brian o vretanos said...

Jean Knee:

I don't really understand why people keep fish - I think they're revolting bug-eyed things.

Yes, I'm sure the Taj Mahal is worth a visit. Though why did they have to build it so far away? ;-)

Bee said...

Bo Brian, they are so cool to watch and the colors...
My Chili Palmer knows who I am and will flare up when Andy gets near me. He’s male fighting Beta. The fish not Andy.

Dan said...

Do you have Niquil in the UK?
It's a cols medicine that put you to sleep.
Do you think the Indians would stop doing this if a baby got hurt?

Jean Knee said...

they didn't stop defecating in the street the first time someone stepped in it, they'll keep throwing the babies


Cupcake was not bug eyed, although he was very boring.

Brian o vretanos said...

Dan:

We have something similar, I think. I'm not taking medicine to help me sleep, though...

Jean Knee:

When are we going to see a picture of Cupcake (in his current state, of course?)

Jean Knee said...

drink some booze, that should help.

no pictures of Cupcake in is frozen fish stick state

Brian o vretanos said...

Jean Knee:

I usually do drink. Last night I didn't and got a better night's sleep.

No pictures? That's a pity.

Jean Knee said...

i couldn't exploit his death that way ;)

Brian o vretanos said...

Jean Knee:

If we were offering you money for pictures, that would be exploitation. Which is the only reason I wouldn't pay you for such a picture. No, by highlighting Cupcakes plight you are bringing the very real issue of piscine mortality rates into focus, which will result in a better life for all the other fishes.

Brian o vretanos said...

I wonder what Clinton and Obama say about fish rights? This could be the issue that swings it for one of them...

Jean Knee said...

wow, I have never heard of piscine before. Of course, given my masterful use of language I inferred its meaning right away.

I think I'll wear my Obama campaign button out to dinner tonight. Okay, it's really Drew's, but he shares (if it's not food)

Jean Knee said...

I wore it and no one even noticed :(

Brian o vretanos said...

Maybe you should have worn Cupcake instead...

I hope the dinner was good. Apart from the lack of attention.

Jean Knee said...

the food was tasty, but the band could use some guitar lessons

Brian o vretanos said...

Oh well, I suppose the food's more important.

Have you got a replacement fish yet?

Jean Knee said...

no, Lean hasn't mentioned it, maybe we can be fishless for awhile

Brian o vretanos said...

Jean Knee:

What kind and size of fish was Cupcake? I have to ask this because you wouldn't let us see a picture...

Jean Knee said...

there is a picture of him alive on my blog
click for a bigger picture--he's gray and stiff now

Brian o vretanos said...

Jean Knee:

Yes, I can just about make out the fish. I love the bowl - I thought those were passe these days? you don't have it on top of the TV, do you?

Jean Knee said...

he was on the kitchen counter for 3 years

you want one now, don't ya?

Tracy Rambles On And On said...

The girls had fish a few years back. I had to buy them out of guilt for killing all the sea monkeys Caroline got as a gift for her birthday.
I hated them. Their tanks always needed cleaning and they never learned any tricks. I was very disappointed.
When you do find something that helps you sleep, let me know. I can use all the help I can get. ;)

Brian o vretanos said...

Jean Knee:

No, I don't want one. Bug eyes or not.

Tracy:

I have no problem going to sleep when it's time to get up for work ;-)

Jean Knee said...

I never knew so many people had insomnia.

don't try that lunesta, it made me Hallucinate then not remember if I slept, danced, or read all night. freaky

Brian o vretanos said...

Jean Knee:

It's one of those modern curses. I'm sure it's all down to electricity.