Apparently a businessman from Shanghai was trying to think of ways to increase sales at his online jewelery shop. Perhaps all sorts of ideas were floating around in his mind -
- "Win a Holiday to Shanghai!"
- "Getting Married? Get a Great Trade-in Price for your old Wedding Ring!"
- "Something Special for the Woman in your Life? Discretion Guaranteed (we won't tell the wife)"
- "Free fake Rolex with every purchase!"
- "Get your Dead Mosquitos here!"
The story says that he got 250,000 hits on his website, and 100,000 orders were placed for this unique product.
I think that if I was Nin Nan (that's the guy's name), I'd be rather depressed at this. After all, people would rather buy a dead insect for decoration than one of his baubles.
The other problem that he's now got is where to find 100,000 dead mosquitos, before he gets sued by angry customers demanding their goods within 28 days. There are good reasons why no-one has tried this particular publicity stunt before.
If it was me, I'd have gone for something like this:
Much more tasteful than dead insects, if less original...