Monday, 10 March 2008
Lead me into Temptation
Today is "Kathara Devtera", or "Pure Monday", the day when the Orthodox Lent begins.
One of the advantages of not being religious is not having to give things up, but nevertheless, in keeping with the spirit of the Season, here is my list of luxuries that I won't be partaking of during this period:
1. Expensive Holiday: It would clearly not be very respectful to go off on a cruise, or spend time in a 5 start hotel in Honolulu, so I won't.
2. Caviar: A wasteful extravagance.
3. Champagne: I'll drink Cava instead.
4. Celebrity Dinner Parties: Although it will be a great disappointment, I shall not be accepting any invitations for the next 40 days.
5. Gold-Embroidered Swimwear. This will have to wait, I'm afraid.
6. Fast Cars: I won't be buying a sports car.
Of course, it's not enough to give up these things. One also has to resist all temptation. I would therefore be very grateful if you could each try and tempt me with offers of free holidays, Champagne (don't worry about splashing out on caviar or swimwear). Either I will remain Saintly and steadfast, in which case you will have the satisfaction of seeing what a great person I am, or I'll cave in, in which case you will be able to feel holier than me.
Come on, have a go...