Tuesday, 6 November 2007
Inspired by all the talk about Green Bean Casserole on Bee's blog, I decided to try it for myself. Especially since even I can just about follow a recipe that involves emptying some tins into a casserole dish. This meant hunting far and wide for some green beans, of course, but eventually Helena and I managed to track some down.
We were less successful at finding french-fried onions, and had to make do with ordinary fried onions instead. Otherwise the Campbell's recipe was followed pretty much to the letter, though since it's all in American units I just guessed the quantities.
It also took longer to heat up than the recipe had predicted, so perhaps I didn't get the American temperatures right either.
When it was done it looked nothing like any of the pictures I could find on the web - I've got a feeling that I should have used more beans, less milk and that using the wrong onions also made it mushier.
I was warned that a lot of people don't like GBC, and I'm not that keen on mushrooms. By the time it came out we would have eaten anything, we were both so hungry. But actually, it was very nice, and there was none left over. Helena even asked if I could make it again next weekend.
If the country's green bean supplies hold up...