Monday 10 December 2007

Scrooge, The Musical


As you may have guessed, I'm not really that interested in Christmas, and as always, I'm supremely unprepared for it. Nevertheless, there are three things I like about this time of year, which you will find out about over the Festive Period.

First of all, Christmas music. People complain about it, and I always complain about any before December, but during this month, I actually enjoy it. Some of it is terrible, and I remember well the year that I had a student job in a shop and had to listen to the same tape over and over again for 9 or 10 hours a day. I particularly disliked "Nat and Dean", as I remember ("Let's sing the whole thing about half a beat out of time with the music, to sound trendy").

I grew up with Jim Reeves' Christmas Album playing constantly at this time of year, since my father was a great Country fan. I have since made no attempt to relive this experience. In fact, I don't put Christmas music on by choice - it's just nice to hear it when I'm out.

Helena asked me for some music this weekend, so I got out my "Christmas Carol" book, which has loads of them, all in difficult-to-play SATB form, and started busking through them on the piano. She liked "The First Nowell", and I had to play it over several times, whilst she stood enthralled. It's rare that I have an appreciative audience - my playing is truly dreadful, but I'm not to bad on slow things...

It was a really enjoyable experience, and my excuse if I'm late posting will be that I'm playing Carols. I need to get some practice in before my fan club turns up next weekend...

7 comments:

Bee said...

Hopefully she won't grow out of it! ;o)
They're playing a commercial here about Scrooge the musical... weird.

Jean Knee said...

nothing about scrooge is going on around here...weird


Brian- there is nothing better than having a kid think something you do is great

When I taught , the kids thought I could sing ,dance, and draw fabulously.

Lean is not as easily impressed for some reason

Bee said...

jean knee, we said SCROOGE not SCREWED!

Brian o vretanos said...

Jean Knee:

Lean's not impressed because she's growing up in the shadow of greatness - she assumes that your talents are normal ;-)

Jean Knee said...

thanks, Brian






your check's in the mail

Anonymous said...

Awww. That's so sweet :-)

My grandma taught me to play 'Jolly old St. Nicholas'. Random fact, I know, but oh well ;-)

I used to love Christmas music and now it just makes me sad. I'm not sure why. I'm definitely becoming my own breed of Scrooge. LOL.

Brian o vretanos said...

Chris:

Christmas is a trying time, since most people feel obliged to get into the spirit of it and be happy for days on end, whatever they're feeling. Christmas music can make that worse.

Because I've never been one for "getting into the spirit" of anything, I don't have this problem ;-)